Surgical needling can improve the texture, pigmentation and contour of scars
Surgical needling treatment, also known as collagen induction therapy, involves the use of a roller. This tool has a needle length of up to 3mm and is passed over the scar numerous times to induce pinpoint bleeding.
This method is particularly effective for surgical scars, enhancing texture, pigmentation, and contour. It can be performed under local anaesthesia for smaller areas or sedation for larger areas. Post-treatment typically involves the application of vitamin oil, which is recommended as aftercare throughout treatment.
How is surgical needling as scar treatment different to other forms of needling?
Surgical needling for scar treatment notably diverges from conventional microneedling techniques. While typical microneedling employs needles ranging from 0.5 to 1.5mm to rejuvenate the skin by enhancing collagen and elastin production, surgical needling advances this approach by utilising longer needles of 2.5 to 3mm.
This difference in needle length allows for deeper skin penetration, fostering more profound dermal refashioning and more effective collagen remodelling to treat scars. By creating micro-tears in the skin, the collagen induction therapy triggers a healing response that increases collagen and elastin and significantly improves the appearance of scars and fine lines, offering a rejuvenated skin texture and appearance.
Benefits of surgical needling for scar treatment
Surgical needling is a revolutionary skin treatment known for its ability to rejuvenate the skin and improve its overall appearance by virtue of its deep penetration into the skin. Benefits of surgical needling include:
- Stimulates collagen and elastin: Promotes skin regeneration, improving texture.
- Reduces scarring: Effectively diminishes acne scars, stretch marks, and other subtypes of scarring
- Improves skin tone: Evens out pigmentation and brightens the complexion
- Minimises wrinkles: Softens lines and wrinkles
- Versatile treatment: Suitable for various body parts, including face, back, and hands
- Minimal downtime: Quick recovery
- Suitable for all skin types: Safe and effective for multiple skin tones and types
This innovative approach offers a non-invasive solution to enhance skin health and appearance, making it a preferred option for those seeking effective scar treatment and overall skin revitalisation.
What can I expect following surgical needling treatment?
Following a surgical needling treatment, patients usually experience a quick downtime at The London Scar Clinic, allowing a prompt return to daily routines. Visible results often emerge within several weeks as the skin heals and regenerates.
Please note that the exact duration of downtime and the speed at which results appear can depend on the individual’s skin condition and the specific treatment parameters.
How often do I need a surgical needling as scar treatment?
The longevity and number of surgical needling sessions can vary depending on individual skin types and the specific concerns being treated. Typically, the effects can last several months. The sessions needed can vary based on individual skin conditions and treatment goals.
Is surgical needling treatment painful?
Our patients typically experience little to no pain during the procedure due to the use of topical anaesthetic prior to treatment.
Why choose The London Scar Clinic for surgical needling treatment
Expert surgeons specialising in treating scars
At The London Scar Clinic, our dedicated team of expert surgeons specialises in treating various types of scars, ensuring each surgical needling treatment is tailored to meet your needs and deliver the best possible results.
State-of-the-art facilities for optimal care
Our clinic has state-of-the-art facilities, providing a comfortable and safe environment for all your scar treatment needs. Our commitment to using the latest technologies ensures optimal care and enhances your surgical needling experience.
Yes. Surgical needling requires a longer recovery time due to its invasive nature, typically a few days to weeks. Microneedling has a shorter recovery, often just 24 to 48 hours, as it is less invasive.
Yes, both can be combined with other treatments for enhanced results. Microneedling pairs well with topical treatments and can be used with laser therapy (e.g. pico modality). Surgical needling may be combined with other surgical procedures for comprehensive results. Consultation is vital to ensure safety and effectiveness.
Surgical needling targets severe skin issues like deep scars and significant rejuvenation needs. It works on deeper layers for substantial improvement and can treat what microneedling treats but with deeper penetration.
Microneedling aims to treat fine lines, wrinkles, and minor scars and improve skin texture with minimal downtime. It stimulates collagen production in the skin’s top layer.
- Versatile, non-invasive solution to various skin issues
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, various types of scarring such as acne scarring, stretch marks, cellulite, age spots, pigmentation, enlarged pores.
- Creates micro-traumas with tiny needles and promotes natural healing and skin cells rejuvenation
- Typical recovery period of 1-2 weeks
- Unique treatment pathway tailored to an individual’s specific needs
- The cost of treatment will vary for each patient
- Initial consultation with an expert consultant will help to determine the best options
- Performed by highly skilled, specialist plastic surgeons with expertise in treating scars